I’ll admit: I’m not always salad’s biggest fan, especially homemade salad. Sometimes salad just doesn’t do it for me; it doesn’t satisfy or fill me, and when I try to be healthy and save money by making it at home, it often turns out kind of, well, bland.
Lucky for you (and me and my wallet and my belly) though, a friend (the same one who created those budget sheets, remember those? She’s just a genius apparently) turned me onto this Mexican-ish style salad that’s absolutely delicious, filling, and honestly healthy.
This post is less of a “recipe” and more of a “here are the things you need to throw into a bowl together before shoveling forkfuls into your happy mouth,” but we’ll go with it.
black beans (canned)
chicken (boneless, skinless)
Hidden Valley fat-free ranch dressing
Annie’s Naturals Organic BBQ sauce
1. Chop the onions and tomatoes. Dry and rough cut the lettuce.
2. While you’re chopping, fry the chicken in a skillet with a little Pam olive oil spray or olive oil itself. Cook through, flipping over about halfway through cooking.
3. Drain the can of corn and put aside with the other veggies (I forgot this part…oops!).
4. Drain the black beans into a colander and rinse thoroughly until no more bubbles form. Warm up in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds.
5. Cut an avocado in half and then slice one half lengthwise and width-wise so that you can push the small “cubes” of avocado out of it’s skin. I use about 1/4 of an avocado per serving.
6. While the chicken is finishing cooking, mix two tablespoons of the BBQ sauce with two tablespoons of the fat-free ranch dressing. Set aside.
7. Once the chicken is done cooking, let cool and then shred.
8. Throw everything into a bowl, mix well, pour the dressing over and enjoy!
(Weight Watchers members: I count one serving of the salad (a full bowl with 1/4 avocado, 1/3 cup beans, 3 ounces chicken, and about 2 tablespoons of each dressing) for 9 smartpoints. 2 avocado, 2 chicken, 2 black beans, 1 ranch dressing, 2 bbq sauce.)
Try it out and let me know if you love it as much as I do! It’s the perfect lunch to take to work and leaves me full and feeling somewhere between indulgent and completely healthy–the perfect combo 🙂